Mainio clothes are designed to be lived and loved in for years. That’s why we work with materials that are as durable as they are good for the planet and its humans. Every collection we launch is made from sustainably and ethically sourced high-quality organic cotton and mulesing-free merino wool. This guarantees that our products are completely free from harmful chemicals and safe enough to eat (although we don’t recommend you to try that). Read our 2020 sustainability report here.
Softness for us and the Earth
Our base is soft: organically farmed cotton jersey is the building block of our collections. Soft against soft skin, it is easy to both wear and take care of. All of the organic cotton jersey we use is GOTS-certified. We are working hard to reduce the need for elastane in the future, as it shortens the lifespan of a garment and makes it more difficult to recycle.
We use double sizes. Roll up trouser legs and sleeves that are too long and adjust the garments’ waists so that your kid can play in our clothes for far longer. Longevity is sewn into the very design of our clothes: we favour designs that look good both oversize or fitted. Long Mainio dresses turn into tunics that then turn into shirts as your kid grows into bigger adventures.
Life is beautifully messy. Play, roam and explore the world fearlessly – and then return home to wash your Mainios.
- Wash your Mainios only when really needed.
- Choose an environmentally-friendly detergent and avoid softeners.
- Wash in low temperatures – it is more ecological and the clothes’ prints will shine brighter and longer.
Our clothes are meant to be lived and played in. When life happens, fix and customise your ripped and stained clothes.
- Cover stains by adding patches or embroidery.
- Fix tears in knees and other tricky spots with patches.
- When your trousers and shirts have seen so many adventures that they can no longer be salvaged, cut them into shorts and t-shirts. Live wild and keep the edges raw.